Monday, January 4, 2010

a Double Whammy

It feels odd to be writing another post already but also kind of nice. In an odd sort of way, it makes me feel more connected to life and what is going on. I think I may try and open up my posting to all life events. If I do succeed at this more frequent posting, prepare to come here much more often than two or three times a month. Then again, the key word here is if.

So I went to martini night twice last week...kind of. Thursday was a special one time only event with a one time only martini, not that going twice in one weekend has to be a one time only occurrence. Right off the bat the new year brought a new record with it: with four of us in attendance; myself, Sandi, Brian and Rob, there was a 50/50 gender split. Percentage wise; this may never happen again, actual male count; hopefully. After four and a half months, I am proud to say that most of the waitresses recognize me and get my menu without even asking. I don't know why but it's actually a pretty good feeling. I think of 84 East as my own personal Cheers. Though in reality I am not sure if this is something to be proud of. Oh well, it's only going to get better for the next seven months, right? I went out on a limb this time and purposefully ordered drinks that didn't sound good. I figure at some point I have to knock them off the list but I realize now to only do one a night that I know I won't like, otherwise it can turn into a very disappointing evening. Luckily, there was plenty of entertainment at the table. So I started with the Pineapple Caketini, which sounds like it could be good. Slightly tropical with a hint of sweet. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it to it's full potential. It was good, but it wasn't memorable. I am giving it a 6.7 because there are plenty of other tropical and sweet options that are sure to make a better impression than this. I then followed with the biggest disappointment yet, the Grape Jolly Rancher. Gross. Let's all think for a second....aren't the grape flavored candies always one of the last left in the bowl. They are for me at least. I'm sure this is a clear indicator of why, I can only imagine, the bartender probably laughed in his head when he got the order. Unless you are one of the few people in the world that enjoys cough syrup, perhaps Brian, do not order this drink. I am giving it a generous 2.9 because it had sugar on the rim and somehow we managed to consume 1/3 of it. Better luck next week.

Nightly recap:
In attendance: Sandi, Brian, Rob
Drinks had: Pineapple Caketini and Grape Jolly Rancher
Quotable quote: ""It was Johnny Walker's fault." "Oh, I know him!""

No comments:

Post a Comment