Sunday, September 27, 2009

martini night or martini weekend?

Whew. What a weekend. I would like to warn you, this could be the longest post you'll ever have to read, but it will be worth it I'm sure :)

Let me start with Thursday. My first Art Prize experience. Though a quick outing, Amanda did a great job of giving me a thorough tour of downtown and some great outdoor art installations. Which then prepared me for Friday. This is how Friday went and what I enjoyed most:

Toilet Tricycle Race put on by the Dufala Brothers, Ahhhh-mazing!
Phone call from Jeff then seeing his brother Joel randomly on the street. Enjoying a White Peach Bellini Martini from my first trip to Republic, which I'd give a 9. Running into the Shingledeckers on Cherry street and having a small world moment (which really I had all day, and kind of all weekend). Taking a second trip through WMCAT (awesome building. can I work here please?) and seeing Rex and Monica Rainey. Holla, PHS! Finding my new favorite quote "do the right thing every dog-gone day of your life" under a massive table and chairs. Getting a ride back to Amanda's for a sleepover :)

This is how Saturday went:
I finished what felt like a very long 13 mile run with a less than satisfactory feeling at the end both mentally and physically. Hello, blisters and weird hip pain, I don't want to be friends anymore, please leave now. Could this be from the 5 hour jaunt across Grand Rapids I did last night? Oh well, that won't happen again. And I'll certainly eat dinner the night before too. And then maybe I'll be able to follow it up with an actual nap instead of laying in bed dreading the fact that I have to work for 5 hours that night because someone doesn't know how to do their job. Let's just say Saturday wasn't my favorite but I made it through with only minor irritations. But not to worry because Sunday brought the following and redeemed the day prior:
a church service that couldn't have been more tailored to what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. T-Pain, Akon and Kanye, enough said. A trip to Dunkin Donuts, mmm coffeeeeeee. Taking a personal day from work so I could heal both mentally and physically from the day before (it worked). Checking out all kinds of art with Adam and Jenna. Meeting up with Colleen and her parents, you wonderful Nelsens, you. Also meeting up with Jeff and Joel DeBlaay and Face, who I will call Face forever because I can. Running into my Aunt Bonnie in the middle of 20,000 people. Finally visiting ActiveSite and seeing the Rainey's again. The Old Federal Building, I love you. Parsley Mediterranean Grille, I love you too. Seeing Rob Bell and his adorable family. Making Amy call into work because of car trouble I caused, ha. Not meeting up with Missy and Dan (this was disappointing, don't take this wrong) which led to a wonderful phone conversation by the B.O.B and reminded me of why Missy is so wonderful. More back and forth across the city which included my first visit to Founders and witnessing the consumption of quite possibly the most disgusting beer ever (who puts chocolate and habanero peppers in a beer, it's gross already!) Thai food for dinner at XO with Amy, Joel L and Amanda and my second martini for the weekend, the classic Peach, which I'd give an 8. One to begin the weekend and one to end. There was so much to see and do, to take in, to process. And I came out alive and inspired. I don't know about what yet but I'll let you know when I do. God brings hope through despair when we need it the most and sometimes He does it with a weekend like this. Thank you to all who were a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, did you enter my giveaway? I don't think Lisa has... ;)

    Gussy

    PS. I just got your comment about the giveaway but don't want to delete THIS... so I'm now just writing to say Hello :)

    ReplyDelete